Mushroom Allergy

Mushroom allergy can affect anyone
Mushrooms fall under one of the most nutritious diets yet it is a diet that is eaten in small quantities. There are many benefits that surround the mushroom diet as well as drawbacks leaving people with a mushroom allergy to avoid them altogether. Surprisingly, the allergic reactions could be due breathing in some of the mushroom particles or even touching them. When it comes to these types of allergies there are people who are particularly allergic to any type of fungus and most importantly, there are those who develop symptoms immediately they come into contact with mushrooms or any fungi. Therefore, it is not a must that one has been allergic to mushrooms throughout their lives since there are those who develop allergic reactions towards them even after eating mushrooms as a delicacy for a long time.

Some of the allergic reactions will include:
Angioedema and dermatitis reactions: This is the swelling of the mouth parts such as the tongue and lips which can lead to an anaphylactic shock. Then one may experience itchiness on the skin, mouth and burning sensations all over the body and the tongue once one has ingested the mushroom. It is important to note that some of these reactions can be safely treated with an antihistamine but it would be advisable to seek medical advice.

Respiratory reactions: A person with mushroom allergy may experience tightness of the chest and shortness of breath as a result there are increased palpitations. This is a sign of danger and one should think of calling an emergency number or hotline to reduce the risks of organs shutting down and eventually, death.

Gastro-intestinal symptoms: One may feel nauseated or even vomit soon after ingesting the mushroom.

Other symptoms: There are cases where someone experiences dizziness, dropping of the blood pressure and loss of consciousness. Even this happens on rare occasions, the best medicine for such reactions is the administration of epinephrine which should be able to control histamine levels in the body.

There are also people with mushroom intolerance symptoms but not mushroom allergy symptoms. Therefore, for people who complain of stomach upsets or constipation after eating mushrooms it is commonly an intolerance reaction and not an allergy. Otherwise, for persons who experience mild symptoms to mushroom allergy can use anti-histamines to counteract the reactions. The ideal situation should be if you know that you have an allergy to mushrooms then avoid them at all costs. On the other hand, if you are not sure, you can try eating a small piece and see how your body reacts.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Top 5 search terms for this item: