Love those juicy tangy raspberries? You should because they are loaded with great vitamins and therefore good for your health. However, some people break into a rash moment they touch raspberries and it seems quite perplexing that a benign fruit like raspberry can cause allergies. This is true because the vitamin-rich raspberries also contain Salicylates, to which some people have an allergy. Salicylates are acidic chemicals secreted naturally by plants that are usually concentrated in the skin of the fruit. When people touch the fruit, the salicylic acid enters through the skin or through inhalation of fumes and causes the body’s autoimmune system to inadvertently recognize the chemical as a threat. As a result, the body secretes histamines, which then causes the skin to inflame, cause difficulty in breathing, headache, fever, a runny nose and irritation of the eyes.
If you suffer from such symptoms as soon as you eat raspberries, the first thing to do is stop eating the fruit and use antihistaminic ointments for your skin. If you have breathing difficulties, consult a doctor, he will prescribe an inhaler or some medicine that decongests your air passages.
It is best not to self-medicate because anti-allergy medicines can be broad spectrum or have specific target chemicals, which can induce other side effects. So a self-medicated anti-allergy medicine can trigger further allergies! Talk about compounding a problem.
As a general rule, infants and babies must not be fed raspberries and fruits containing citric acid straight away. The reason is that babies have a very sensitive and immature digestive system, which is not used to consuming acidic food. Moreover, allergic reactions in babies can be life threatening as it may induce severe reactions in vital organs. A simple test is to give a small mashed bit of raspberry and watch for signs of swelling of the baby’s tongue, lips or an outbreak of rashes or stomach swelling. If any of these symptoms occur within a few minutes or within the hour of consuming raspberries, it may be an allergic reaction.
The intensity of allergic reaction differs from person to person. From the mild symptoms described above, it can even turn fatal with sudden drop in your blood pressure and multiple organ failure. So if any of the symptoms emerge on eating raspberries, don’t take it lightly, you may apply first aid but always consult a doctor. Once it has been determined that you do suffer from raspberry allergy, do not eat the fruit.
- Oyster Allergy (food-allergydata.com)
- Hitch allergy (food-allergydata.com)
- Pineapple allergy (food-allergydata.com)
- Bajra Allergy (food-allergydata.com)
- Sorbitol allergy (food-allergydata.com)
- Quinoa allergy symptoms (food-allergydata.com)
- Truffle allergy (food-allergydata.com)
- Tapioca allergy (food-allergydata.com)
- Sorbitol allergy symptoms (food-allergydata.com)
- Coca Cola allergy (food-allergydata.com)